Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Is there a Doctor in the house?



It has been two months since I received my PhD degree. After 5 years, some good days and a lot of bad ones, it was finally over. My thesis is bound and gathering dust in the library.
So what now? Currently I'm still in a lab, as Post-Doctoral fellow. But I feel I need to decide what will be my future: is science the career I want? Is that what I dreamt of? Am I going to the Academia and stay in research? Going to the biotech industry? Teach?
There are many options and each very demanding in its way. Everybody around me is very impressed with the achievement and the title Doctor sounds magical. I've been asked a few times to refer to myself as Doctor. It feels ridiculous. Real doctors either sit in hospitals and clinics and usually declare that whatever is wrong with you is a virus, or fly around the universe in a blue police box called the TARDIS.
So, I went down to the crossroad, (like that old song by "Cream") and I need to think it out. What is the next big challenge? Where do I see myself in 10 years (except in my son's Bar-Mitzvah)? A difficult question. Ideas anyone? Job offers?
For now I'll postpone answering all these nagging questions and settle in watching previous seasons of "Doctor Who?" David Tennant is the best.

3 comments:

  1. I'll tell you what I would like to be doing- drinking a pina colada overlooking some gorgeous serene ocean and getting paid for it. Wouldn't that be nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. gifted people always find their purpose. you just need some time to seat in this crossroad, watch the traffic go by, and eventually, your ride will arrive...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling,
    I can relate, you know..
    Its OK to reflect about your future (near and far), but hey, dont forget to enjoy those little moments of satisfaction and pride.
    You deserve that, dont you?..
    kisses
    Dani.
    ps: love your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete