Thursday, February 4, 2010

Trouble sleeping

Well this post comes after a week of very troubled sleep, too much caffeine and no exercise. My energy levels have reached rock bottom and with them my mood. This depressed frame of mind is completely physiological, I’m sure. Sleep deprivation was shown in endless researches to be a cause for many ailments among them depression and even psychosis, weakened immune system, decrease in cognition and ability to perform the simplest tasks. Well I’m there. My youngest sons’ cold had left me and The Husband beyond exhausted. Not sleeping properly for a week takes me back to the days when my kids were newborns and I woke a few times at night to breastfeed them. I used to feel like my life is not completely real, as if I live in a hallucination. I have this sensation today after a whole week of waking 2 or 3 times to a crying baby and then finally wake up at 6:30 to go to work (see my post about mornings). The thing is the patient aside from the bothering night cough is having a marvelous time. The other day when I was on sick shift with him at home, he had some much energy we spent 2 hours in the playground. I kept the caffeine in my blood stream on steady levels.
So, I’m looking forward for the weekend and some rest. I bet I’ll be euphoric after a 7 hours sleep night or even after a long cozy siesta. Next post will have to be cheery and optimistic. I know that there are moms out there that have kids that do sleep, but for me sleeping kids are like unicorns – only in fairytales.
                                Isn't this a pretty drawing of a sleeping unicorn?

2 comments:

  1. we'll take turns this weekend. I'll take tonight's shift.
    by the way, the unicorn looks much like me at 2030 in front of the tele...
    yours,
    asaiya

    ReplyDelete
  2. not again, Mr.Yoya is showing sure signs that he likes to party all night, I am sure it will get better though. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete