Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Birthday celebration gluten-free

Well, we're now in the midst of winter, not a very harsh one I'll admit but still finally we have a  great weather. The end of the year and the beginning of the new one is a time for many birthdays of both family and friends. These events echo the birthdays we celebrate at the end of summer of other family members. Since we're partying I was reminded of the great gluten-free cake I made for my eldest birthday. Hope you'll enjoy it.

Summer is when dozens of farewell parties at school and other places are celebrated. And since parties mean food, as a celiac family we need to be prepared.  In our household, summertime is among many other things, birthday time because both my daughters were born in the height of summer.  Each year there is a whole festival: A party with the class and with the family, very specific present requests and of course for each event a candle lit birthday cake.
So when my gluten-free daughter is invited to any of the mentioned festivities we usually prepare her own dessert (a piece of gluten-free cake I make or buy) and because she’s very mature and responsible she sticks to munching potato chips and pop-corn, staying away from the pizza and hotdog in a roll. I must admit that once in a long while a conscientious parent from the class will call me in order to prepare a real meal without gluten. There was a mum that cooked especially for my girl a corn based pasta Bolognaise.
When we entertain at our house it is much easier. The cakes are gluten-free and my girl gets to gobble a lot of pizza without wheat. Her latest birthday party with the class included watching Shrek 4 in 3D. With the mounds of pop-corn from the cinema, I supplied the cake that was my own version of a recipe that my daughter saw in a cookbook and liked very much.
For a festive and yummy cake you’ll need:
Ingredients:
For the sponge cake
4 medium eggs
225gr soft butter
Cup of sugar
1 cup soy flour
2/3 cup corn starch (Gilam gluten-free flour)
2 tea spoons baking powder
For the chocolate cream
200gr chocolate 60% cocoa solids
100ml cream 38%
20gr butter
A 22cm round baking cake tin
  1. Pre-heat an oven to 180C and oil the tin and place a piece of oiled baking parchment.
  2. Break the eggs to small bowl and stir them well with a fork.
  3. Mix the butter and sugar until you get a foamy mixture, and then add the eggs while mixing.
  4. Sift the flour and baking powder and add them while mixing.
  5. Pour the mixture to the tin and bake for 30 minutes.
  6. While the cake cools, melt the chocolate with the butter and cream either in the microwave or in a double bath on the gas. Mix the chocolate and cream to unified crème.
  7. Slice the cake in the middle so you'll get 2 parts. Smear some of the chocolate on the bottom cake and then place the second half to create a "sandwich". 
The cake cut in half
Putting the cake together
  1. Coat the cake with the rest of the chocolate.


Coating with chocolate



Happy Birthday!
For more information about gluten-free dining you can leave your comments and questions and I'll be happy to answer.

2 comments:

  1. I can still taste this cake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is great weather, isn't it? love the rain. That's the kind of cake I would eat in any weather

    ReplyDelete